Follow SHIRLEYBECK on Twitter

Sunday, March 7, 2010

My Oldest Sister "Johnnie Murl Nelson Arthur"






In 1955 the civil rights murder of  John Earl Reese that left two teenagers shot and wounded were  my oldest sisters Johnnie Murl Nelson Arthur, and Jocy Faye Nelson Crockett.

My oldest sister Johnnie Murl Nelson Arthur survived the shooting, got married and went on to raise her children. She was the mother of two girls and four boys.

My next to oldest injured sister Jocy Faye Nelson also survived. Jocy Faye got married and is the mother of five children four girls and one boy. I remember my sisters being outgoing and beautiful.  They loved to have fun. When you were around those girls you knew you were going to have a ball.

Although they were grown and on their own , they still loved to come to over to mom and dad's to spend the night with us. When they came over Johnnie Murl would  bring presents and Jocy Faye would bring fun. All the other sisters would be so excited and we would cook for them. Afterwards we would eat, laugh and talk all night. It was so much fun!!

My oldest sister liked buying me nice and pretty things.  Barrettes and bows for my hair, blouses, pants, skirts shoes etc...I thought she kind of favored me. It may have been my imagination because I was the baby girl at the time but, that's what I thought.

In November 1976 she was thirty-six years old when she was shot and killed by a friend. I thought It was the saddest thing that ever happened. It was my first experience with death of another sibling.

My daughter was born in September 1976 just before my sister's untimely death. She had already started buying my daughter gifts and things. (Just like she did her mommy)


 
I was blessed the time I shared with my sister Johnnie Murl Nelson Arthur. I only wish my daughter could have met her, because I know she would have loved her too.
Enhanced by Zemanta