Follow SHIRLEYBECK on Twitter

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Thinking About My Mom...

Two SistersImage via Wikipedia
I sometimes wonder how my mom is feeling quite often. My mom will be 81 years old in November, and has a lot or related illnesses. Most of the time when I call to check on her I'll say "Mom how are you"? She almost always say "Ahhh, I'm doing fine". Now, since I feel in my heart she is not being totally truthful I'll sit quietly on the phone for a few minutes then she will go ahead and tell me how she really feels. When she start telling me about what's going on with her it makes me very sad. It's amazing to me that one person can have so many illnesses. My oldest sister lives with her and takes care of her. She does the cooking, cleaning, and gives her her medications. I know it's a lot of work, but since she lives with her that's the best option of care for mom. I know if one of the other siblings lived with her we would be her caretaker. That's just the way it is. But, I also worry about my sister too with all the things she has going on in her life. My other siblings live close and are in and out of her house daily. They also help take care of her bringing her food, sitting with her, running errands and taking her to her doctor appointments. I know we are very blessed to have most of the family close by for moms sake. I call her on a regular basis and go home about once every other month or so. While I lead a very busy life in another city it's hard to find as much time as I need to visit her. Mom is getting older and I do worry I don't get to spend enough quality time with her like I should. I often think to myself wow... "I would love to put everything I have on hold and go home to spend more time with my momma". Who knows maybe one day I can?
Enhanced by Zemanta